Ryan is apart of the Class 0f 2020. He is a Secondary Education major and is a member of the Track and Field Team along with being a Residential Advisor. In the interview below, he talks about how the experiences he has had through the Foley Center have shaped him and why all students should consider this opportunity.
1. How has being a part of the SHC Foley Center impacted your four years here?
– The Foley Center provided me with the opportunity to serve and learn from experiences both similar and different to mine. I think in doing so it provided me with a more well-rounded world view, and increased my inclination to serve in my life going forward.
2. What have you learned from this experience that you will take with you when you graduate?
– I think that there is good in everyone. So frequently it is easy to see all the struggles and issues around the world. I think it is important to always try and see the light and the positive, and even if others may struggle to see it, I have learned to do my best to always elicit the best in myself and others.
3. What is your best service-related memory?
– Working with Dr. Jaqui Virgil at Williamson Prep. She is an incredible role model and educator. She has had an amazing impact on me and I am exceptionally fortunate to have gotten to learn from an amazing woman and mentor.
4. In your words, what is the Foley Center’s Mission?
– To better the Mobile community, and subsequently the world. I think by working within the community and always striving to help in its improvement, members of the Foley Center are able to learn and grow and take the skills they gather from working in Mobile, and eventually get to apply those to bettering their own communities.
5. If there is one thing you could tell your freshman self about the Foley Center, what would it be?
– To be open, and to try it. It is so easy to get caught up in the business of everything around us, but truly the greatest satisfaction and happiness we will achieve is by being open to the things put before us. For me Foley Center was an incredible opportunity and I met many wonderful people, I would just advise people (including Freshman me) to give it a shot, and you’ll be amazed at the impact that can be achieved.